If you are a prospective first-year student (coming to college for the first time out of high school) you can email your questions to: ENGR.FYadvising@oregonstate.edu. If you would like to set up a time to meet with an advisor, feel free to contact us through the advisor contact info listed below. All first-year students will begin as General Engineering students and will declare their engineering major of choice by the end of their first year. One exception to this are students in the Ecampus 4-year CS program or CS Post-Bacc Ecampus students. CS Ecampus students should contact an advisor in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
If you are currently a first-year student in another major but want to change into an engineering major, please either attend a drop-in time or email one of the first-year advisors.
First-year Advising Mission
We serve and support first-year students in the College of Engineering with regular collaborative interactions in order to:
- Provide a compass for the academic and career exploration process by challenging students to examine the links between their goals, values, and interests;
- Help students navigate complex university structures by explaining and applying procedures, policies, and processes;
- Assist in the successful transition to college by encouraging students to access appropriate campus resources and extracurricular engagement, and to feel included, empowered, and involved in a community of engineering scholars.
Scheduling an appointment/how to meet with an advisor
In-Person and Remote Drop-In Times Announced at the Start of Each Term. (Refer to First-Year Engineering Student Canvas course for virtual drop-in form and details, if you are not enrolled in this course, email firstname.lastname@example.org)
Fall Term Drop-In Times:
Drop-ins: In-person in JOHN 114 or remote (sign-in from First-Year Engineering Student Canvas
Week 0: (9.27-29 th ): 9-11:30; 1:30-4:30
Week 1: (10.2-10.5): 9-11:30; 1:30-4:30
Week 1: (10.6, Friday): no drop-ins
Week 2-Finals Week: 4-4:30 Monday-Friday
Scheduling an appointment:
Current students should schedule with their assigned advisor through Beaver Hub . If you need to schedule with another advisor, please refer to the First-Year Engineering Student Canvas course to find our Bookings link. If you are not in the Canvas course, please send an advisor an email to request a link to schedule.
- Where are the advising offices? Searchable campus map
- How can I find what courses are required for the major I am most interested in? Curriculum Guides
- What will my first-year experience look like? Engineering+
- What engineering majors are offered? Planning: Types of Engineering
- Where can I go for tutoring or academic support? Academic Support Resources
- How can I find out about Engineering Student Clubs or Organizations? Engineering Sponsored Student Organizations
- What policies in COE should I be aware of? Academic Progression Model