First-Year Advising for College of Engineering Students
First-Year engineering advisors will return to offering both limited in-person appointments and virtual appointments for Fall Term 2021.
For additional information about COVID-19 and OSU's response, please vist the OSU COVID-19 website.
If you are a prospective First-Year student (coming to college for the first time out of high school) you can email your questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to setup a time to meet with an advisor, feel free to contact us through the advisor contact info listed below. Starting Fall 2019, all first-year students will be General Engineering students and will declare their engineering major by the end of their first year. One exception to this is students in the Ecampus 4-year CS program or CS Post-Bacc stduents. CS Ecampus students should contact an advisor in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
If you are an prospective Transfer student, you can reach out to an advisor in your major. The websites for advising are listed under “Advisors for Returning and Transfer Engineering Students” on the bottom of this page.
First-Year Advising Mission
We serve and support first-year students in the College of Engineering with regular collaborative interactions in order to:
- Provide a compass for the academic and career exploration process by challenging students to examine the links between their goals, values, and interests;
- Help students navigate complex university structures by explaining and applying procedures, policies, and processes;
- Assist in the successful transition to college by encouraging students to access appropriate campus resources and extracurricular engagement, and to feel included, empowered, and involved in a community of engineering scholars.
Scheduling an Appointment/how to meet with an advisor
In-Person and Remote Drop-In Times Announced at the Start of Each Term. (Refer to First-Year Engineering Canvas course for virtual drop-in form and details, if you are not enrolled in this course, email email@example.com)
DROP-IN Times Fall Term: In-Person in Johnson Hall 114 Office of Student Services; and Remote through Zoom. Remote sign-up link can be found on the First-Year Engineering Student Canvas Fall Module.
|Wednesday, 9.22||9:00-11:30; 1:30-4:30|
|Thursday, 9.23||9:00-11:30; 1:30-4:30|
|Friday, 9.24||9:00-11:30; 1:30-4:30|
|Week 1 drop-ins||1:30-4:30 M-F|
*9.30 only 4:00-4:30 due to advisor ENGR 100 class presentations
|Week 2-Finals week||4:00-4:30 M-F|
Once the term begins, you will be assigned an academic advisor based on your last name, you will schedule your advising appointment from the First-Year Engineering Students Canvas Course.
This Canvas Studio is a non-credit, non-graded, free site designed to help you navigate your first year at Oregon State University. You will find information on advising, career and major exploration, clubs and extra-curricular activities and gain the skills to successfully explore your major, the College of Engineering and OSU. Canvas is also where you will schedule appointments for you START registration appointment as well as during Fall, Winter, and Spring Terms.
The Office of Student Services (Johnson 114) will be open beginning 9.21.2021
If you would like to contact an advisor please use the email links below.
Centralized Advisors (First-Year)
- Where are the advising offices? Searchable campus map
- How can I find what courses are required for the major I am most interested in? Curriculum Guides
- What engineering majors are offered? Planning: Types of Engineering
- Where can I go for tutoring or academic support? Academic Support Resources
- How can I find out about Engineering Student Clubs or Organizations? Engineering Sponsored Student Organizations
- What policies in COE should I be aware of? Academic Progression Model