218A Dearborn Hall
Corvallis, OR 97331
Karl R. Haapala is an Associate Professor and Tom & Carmen West Faculty Scholar in the School of Mechanical, Industrial, and Manufacturing Engineering at Oregon State University, where he directs the Industrial Sustainability Lab. His research addresses sustainable manufacturing challenges, including life cycle engineering methods, manufacturing process performance modeling, and engineering education. His work has appeared in more than 100 peer-reviewed chapters, proceedings, and journal articles.
He has participated in over $10M in research from the Army, DOE, NIST, NSF, the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Oregon BEST, the Oregon Metals Initiative, and industry, including Boeing, Benchmade, Blount, Caterpillar, HP Inc., Master Chemical, PGE, and Sheldon Manufacturing. He serves as Assistant Director of OSU's DOE Industrial Assessment Center and leads northwestern activities of the CESMII Western Regional Manufacturing Center. He has served in volunteer leader positions within ASME (including 2020 MSEC Technical Program Co-chair) and SME (including 2020 Student Relations Committee Chair), and has been inducted into the honor societies of Pi Tau Sigma, Phi Kappa Phi, and Sigma Xi.
He has been recognized by the NAE (2015 Frontiers of Engineering) and SME (2014 Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award and 2012 & 2015 Distinguished Faculty Advisor Awards) and received Best Paper Awards from ASME (2015 & 2016 DFMLC), CIRP (2012 LCE), and ISSS (2017). He received a Fulbright-Tampere University Faculty Scholar Award for the 2019-2020 academic year to conduct research and teaching at the intersection of smart and sustainable manufacturing as applied to additive manufacturing processes. He completed his B.S. and M.S. degrees in Mechanical Engineering and his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering-Engineering Mechanics, as an NSF IGERT trainee (2004-2008), from Michigan Technological University.
Dr. Haapala specializes in sustainable design and manufacturing. Broad research topics within this area include life cycle engineering; manufacturing process modeling for environmental performance improvement; evaluation of novel approaches for environmental impact reduction, e.g., micro- and nanomanufacturing and product servicing; and sustainable engineering education.
(* Graduate Student; ** Undergraduate Student; † Corresponding Author)
1. Sutherland, J. W.†, K. L. Gunter*, K. R. Haapala*, K. Khadke*, S. J. Skerlos, J. B. Zimmerman*, W. W. Olson, and R. Sadasivuni, 2003, “Environmentally Benign Manufacturing: Status and Vision for the Future,” Transactions of NAMRI/SME, Vol. 31, p. 345-352, also appeared as SME Paper MR03-188.
2. Kumar, V.*, K. R. Haapala*, J. L. Rivera*, M. J. Hutchins*, W. J. Endres, J. K. Gershenson, D. J. Michalek, and J. W. Sutherland†, 2006, “Infusing Sustainability Principles into Manufacturing/ Mechanical Engineering Curricula,” SME Journal of Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 24, No. 3, p. 215-225.
3. Sutherland, J. W.† and K. R. Haapala*, 2007, “Optimization of Steel Production to Improve Lifecycle Environmental Performance,” CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 56, No. 1, p. 5-8.
4. Haapala, K. R.*, J. L. Rivera*, and J. W. Sutherland†, 2008, “Application of Life Cycle Assessment Tools to Sustainable Product Design and Manufacturing,” International Journal of Innovative Computing, Information and Control, Vol. 4, No. 3, p. 577-591.
5. Haapala, K. R.*, K. L. Brown*, and J. W. Sutherland†, 2008, “A Life Cycle Environmental and Economic Comparison of Product-Service Systems,” Transactions of NAMRI/SME, Vol. 36, p. 333-340.
6. Sutherland, J. W.†, D. P. Adler*, K. R. Haapala*, and V. Kumar*, 2008, “A Comparison of Manufacturing and Remanufacturing Energy Intensities with Application to Diesel Engine Production,” CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 57, No. 1, pp. 5-8.
7. Haapala, K. R.†, J. L. Rivera*, and J. W. Sutherland, 2009, “Reducing Environmental Impacts of Steel Product Manufacturing,” Transactions of NAMRI/SME, Vol. 37, pp. 419-426.
8. Sutherland, J. W., T. L. Jenkins*, and K. R. Haapala†, 2010, “Development of a Cost Model and its Application in Determining Optimal Size of a Diesel Engine Remanufacturing Facility,” CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 59, No. 1, pp. 49-52.
9. Bohm, M. R.†, K. R. Haapala, K. Poppa*, A. Nix*, R. B. Stone, I. Y. Tumer, 2010, “Integrating Life Cycle Assessment into the Conceptual Phase of Design to Aid Decision Making,” Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 132, No. 9, 091005 (12 pp.).
10. Haapala, K.R.†, A.V. Catalina, M.L. Johnson, J.W. Sutherland, 2012, “Development and Application of Models for Steelmaking and Casting Environmental Performance,” ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 134, No. 5, 051013 (13 pp.).
11. Kim, K.Y. †, K.R. Haapala, G.E. Okudan Kremer, and M.K. Barbour, 2012, “Cyber Collaboratory-based Sustainable Design Education: A Pedagogical Framework,” Journal of Computational Science and Education, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 2-10.
12. Bozorgirad, M.A.*, H. Zhang*, K.R. Haapala†, and G.S. Murthy, 2013, “Environmental Impact and Cost Assessment of Incineration and Ethanol Production as Municipal Solid Waste Management Strategies,” The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, Vol. 18, No. 8, pp. 1502-1512.
13. Haapala, K.R.†, F. Zhao, J. Camelio, J.W. Sutherland, S.J. Skerlos, D.A. Dornfeld, I.S. Jawahir, A.F. Clarens, J.L. Rickli*, 2013, “A Review of Engineering Research in Sustainable Manufacturing,” ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 135, No. 4, 041013 (16 pp.).
14. Zhang, H. *, J. Calvo-Amodio, and K.R. Haapala†, 2013, “A Conceptual Model for Assisting Sustainable Manufacturing Enterprise through System Dynamics,” SME Journal of Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 543-549, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmsy.2013.05.007.
15. Niyaghi, F.*, Haapala, K.R.†, Harper, S.L., and Weismiller, M.C., 2014, “Stability and Biological Responses of Zinc Oxide Metalworking Nanofluids (ZnO MWnF™),” Tribology Transactions, Vol. 57, No. 4, pp. 730-739.
16. Haapala, K.R.† and P. Prempreeda*, 2014, “Comparative Life Cycle Assessment of 2.0 MW Wind Turbines,” International Journal of Sustainable Manufacturing, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 170-185.
17. Haapala, K.R.† and P. Prempreeda*, 2014, “Environmental Impacts of Integrating Wind Energy Systems and Supplemental Energy Generation and Storage Systems,” International Journal of Sustainable Manufacturing, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 186-206, http://dx.doi.org/10.1504/IJSM.2014.062497.
18. Zhang, H.* and K.R. Haapala†, 2015, “Integrating Sustainable Manufacturing Assessment into Decision Making for a Production Work Cell,” Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 105, October, pp.52-63, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2014.01.038>
19. Zhang, H.*, K.R. Haapala†, and J. Calvo-Amodio, 2015, “Establishing Foundational Concepts for Sustainable Manufacturing Systems Assessment,” International Journal of Strategic Engineering Asset Management, Vol. 2, No. 3, http://dx.doi.org/10.1504/IJSEAM.2015.072124
20. Lajevardi, B.*†, K. R. Haapala, and J. Junker, 2015, “Real-time Monitoring and Evaluation of Energy Efficiency and Thermal Management of Data Centers,” SME Journal of Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 37, Part 2, pp. 511-516 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmsy.2014.06.008
21. Mirkouei, A.†, P. Mirzaie, K.R. Haapala, J. Sessions, and G.S. Murthy, 2015, “A Supply Chain Model for Optimizing Fixed and Mobile Bio-Oil Refineries,” Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 113, pp. 495-507 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.11.023
22. Eastwood, M.D.* and K.R. Haapala†, 2015, "An Induction Hardening Process Model to Assist Sustainability Assesment of a Steel Bevel Gear," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 80, No. 5, September, pp. 1113-1125 http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00170-015-7053-y
23. Gao, Q.*, J. Lizarazo-Adarme, B.K. Paul, and K.R. Haapala†, 2016, “An Economic and Environmental Assessment Model for Microchannel Device Manufacturing: Part 1 – Methodology,”Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 120, pp. 135-145 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.04.142
24. Gao, Q.*, J. Lizarazo-Adarme, B.K. Paul, and K.R. Haapala†, 2016, “An Economic and Environmental Assessment Model for Microchannel Device Manufacturing: Part 2 – Application,”Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 120, pp. 146-156 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.04.141
25. H.P.N. Nagarajan*, H.A. Malshe*, K.R. Haapala†, and Y. Pan, 2016 “Environmental Performance Evaluation of a Fast Mask Image Projection Stereolithography Process through Time and Energy Modeling,” ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 138, No. 10, 101004 (10 pages), doi: 10.1115/1.4033756.
26. Alsaffar, A. J.*, K. Raoufi*, K. Y. Kim, G. E. O. Kremer, K. R. Haapala†, 2016, “Simultaneous Consideration of Unit Manufacturing Processes and Supply Chain Activities for Reduction of Product Environmental and Social Impacts,” ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 138, No. 10, 101009 (18 pages), doi: 10.1115/1.4034481.
27. Garretson, I.C.*, M. Mani, S. Leong, K.W. Lyons, K.R. Haapala†, 2016, “Terminology to Support Manufacturing Process Characterization and Assessment for Sustainable Production,” Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 139, pp. 986–1000, doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.08.103.
28. Mirkouei, A.*†, K.R. Haapala, J. Sessions, and G.S. Murthy, 2017, “A Review and Future Directions in Techno-Economic Modeling and Optimization of Upstream Forest Biomass to Bio-oil Supply Chains,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 67, pp. 15-35, doi: 10.1016/j.rser.2016.08.053.
29. Seyedmahmoudi, S.H.*, K.R. Haapala†, K.-Y. Kim, and G.E. Kremer, forthcoming “Energy and Carbon Footprint Reduction during Textile-based Product Design and Manufacturing,” International Journal of Strategic Engineering Asset Management, in press.