[Eecs-news-links] Tue. Feb. 5 - Opportunity to meet Genentech

Batten, Tina tina.batten at oregonstate.edu
Wed Jan 30 09:12:12 PST 2019

Sign-up<https://oregonstate.joinhandshake.com/events/264152/share_preview> to meet Genentech on Feb. 5 @ 1-3 pm (Johnson 124).

This company is looking for EECS summer interns for its San Francisco Bay Area offices. See sample posting below.
RSVP on Handshake.<https://oregonstate.joinhandshake.com/events/264152/share_preview>

----

Start Date: Summer 2019
Length of Assignment: 12 weeks
Work Hours: 40 hours per week

The Biomolecular Resources Organization at Genentech, a member of the Roche Group, is looking to acquire a Laboratory Automation Intern for its Summer Intern Program at our South San Francisco campus in Northern California. We are seeking a candidate that is eager to learn, keen problem-solver, team-oriented and has excellent communication skills. The ideal candidate will have a hybrid background in the Life Sciences and Computational Sciences.

In the BMR Group at Genentech, we strive to produce, analyze and disperse high quality data relating to small/large scale expression analysis, DNA plasmid (construct) engineering, and the management/distribution of DNA to further the Research and Development community at Genentech, fueling our drug-discovery pipeline. We leverage a diverse portfolio of technologies and equipment to deliver high-quality, high-throughput results, ranging from: liquid-handling robots and a home-grown Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS), to 3D-printers for custom inventions innovation and various devices to analyze cell integrity/density and protein composition/purity.

The candidate will report directly to the Lead Laboratory Automation Scientist (Dept. Automation Lead) and collaborate to develop an automated solution for diluting DNA samples and creating sample 'mixtures' dynamically and intuitively using a Hamilton Starlet Liquid-handling robot. This candidate will also work on producing a high-quality web repository using 'Confluence' a cloud-based collaboration software tool that will provide a one-stop shop for tracking, informing and capturing pertinent Automation related Information for the dept.

General duties will include the above projects and robot maintenance, robot error troubleshooting, testing, program optimization, and weekly meetings as determined by the Automation Lead.

Requirements

Current student (or recent graduate) pursuing a BS or MS degree in the Life Sciences (Chemistry, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biomedical Engineering, Physics or related field).

The ideal candidate will have:
*         basic lab experience (using pipettors, following standard operating procedures or instructions to conduct experiments)
*         some coding experience/coursework (Visual BASIC, C#, JAVA, C++, Python, JAVAScript or related programming language)
*         well-rounded understanding/appreciation of technology, machinery and engineering concepts
*         added bonus will be a candidate who has a keen interest/hobby/or coursework related to robotics and/or advanced control machines

Roche is an equal opportunity employer.