[Eecs-news-links] IT Residency Program @ Google (Mountain View, CA; Ann Arbor, MI)

Batten, Tina tina.batten at oregonstate.edu
Tue Mar 13 12:57:30 PDT 2018

For details or to apply, visit:
https://careers.google.com/jobs?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=direct_message&utm_campaign=UPx&src=#!t=jo&jid=/google/information-technology-residency-program-google-building-41-1600-amphitheatre-3583061064&
Google's Information Technology Residency Program (ITRP) is a 26-month role designed to jumpstart your career in technology at Google or beyond. Residents will learn what it takes to support and scale Google's technology, from our corporate infrastructure to our end users. Using various support channels (e.g. chat, email, phone, video, in-person, etc.), you will be helping Googlers on all sorts of challenging support cases. You will encounter a sophisticated user base working on all major desktop and mobile operating systems (e.g. Windows, OS X, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, etc.).
Google aspires to be an organization that reflects the globally diverse audience that our search engine and tools serve. We believe that in addition to hiring the best talent, a diversity of perspectives, ideas and cultures leads to the creation of better products and services. Interacting with people in all parts of the company will give you insight into our unique enterprise and corporate culture.
At Google, we believe that a successful IT career has its foundation in user support, and ITRP gives you exposure to a wide range of issues by assisting Googlers around the world. You will help Google's operations evolve at scale by finding innovative ways to make support more efficient. You will act as a liaison between technical and non-technical groups to enhance Google's infrastructure and internal services.
We will equip you with everything you need to know to support our users, as well as skills you'll need as a future IT leader. You will receive specialized training in networking, infrastructure and multi-platform system administration, and you will develop further skills through hands-on experience in communication technology (video and voice), hardware, mobile device support and project management. You will spend three months on an operations team, focusing on an area such as networking, security or system administration. Additionally, through short-term travel, you'll have the opportunity to experience the diverse support landscapes in other Google offices.
IT Residency alumni have advanced on to a variety of positions, both at Google and other technology companies, in roles such as networking, security, site reliability engineering, system administration and support.
At Google, our users come first, and the Systems Infrastructure team is at the heart of that promise. We build the technologies that transform the way we think about doing business. Whether working on our cloud systems, researching the latest in computer technology or keeping Google's internal systems humming, Googlers and users alike rely on us to keep things running. We're back-end experts: protecting your privacy and ensuring your security.
Responsibilities

  *   Provide support across all channels, including chat, email, phone, video, in-person, etc. (the amount of time dedicated to each will vary by location).
  *   Troubleshoot across Google's corporate resources, applications, and various operating systems, including Linux, OS X, Windows, Chrome OS and Android platforms.
  *   Support various services such as video conferencing, remote access, new internal products and mobile technology.
Qualifications
Minimum qualifications:

  *   Associate's degree or equivalent practical experience.
  *   Experience troubleshooting in a Linux, OS X, or Windows networked environment.
  *   Eligible to work in the United States.

Preferred qualifications:

  *   Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Information Technology, Applied Networking, System Administration, or other degrees with applicable experience.
  *   1 year of relevant work experience, including deploying and supporting desktops/laptops, phone systems, video conferencing and various wireless devices.
  *   Ability to work well in a team environment with a focus on knowledge sharing and collaboration.
  *   Ability to adjust quickly to changing priorities and to make quick decisions with limited information.
  *   Effective customer service, organizational, communication, and leadership skills.