[Eecs-news-links] "Introduction to Genome Biology" Course for EECS Students

Sumida, Gale Masako gale.sumida at oregonstate.edu
Wed Feb 21 10:06:34 PST 2018

I'm excited to announce this Spring's offering of "Introduction to Genome Biology" (BOT499/599, Spring 2018), which was designed for EECS students who are interested in the genomics/molecular-biology domain.

A flyer is attached for this course along with a brief description below. This course is designed to help any student **without a formal biology background** learn genome biology fundamentals in a setting that focuses on understanding and not on memorizing.  We delve into molecular biology from the bottom up, but in a way that is fun and not scary.  Students also learn some practicals of working on a parallel computing cluster through the class project.

For those interested in the Biological Data Sciences Graduate Minor, I believe this course can be included as an option.

If a space in this course is not available upon registration (undergraduate or graduate subsection has filled), this can almost always be addressed so please contact me.

Molly
megrawm at science.oregonstate.edu<mailto:megrawm at science.oregonstate.edu>
http://megraw.cgrb.oregonstate.edu/mollymegraw

Introduction to Genome Biology
BOT 499/599
Spring 2018: TR 10:00am-11:30am
Brief course description:
This course introduces students from any background, including a quantitative background (e.g. computer science, math, statistics, physics, engineering), to basic concepts from molecular biology, in order to explore the field of genomics and computational biology.  The course has no pre-requisites, and will progress from understanding DNA, RNA, and protein production in cells to understanding relevant concepts in modern genome biology such as DNA modifications and chromatin structure.  The course will contain a project that teaches practical parallelization of genomic data, for use in answering biological questions.  For this reason, it is requested that students entering the course are comfortable in a scripting language (e.g. Python, Perl, R, Matlab, etc).