[Eecs-news-links] OHSU Quantitative Bioscience & Biomedical Engineering Summer Internship

Batten, Tina tina.batten at oregonstate.edu
Fri Feb 17 13:47:34 PST 2017

From: Samantha Wagner [mailto:wagnsam at ohsu.edu]
<snip>

I would be grateful if you could bring to the attention of potentially interested undergraduates, an unusual summer internship program.

We are anticipating strong demand for interdisciplinary researchers who are able to develop the new tools and analyses that will underwrite the next generation of biomedical discovery as well as clinical diagnostics, treatment and monitoring as health care becomes more personalized and early detection of disease is emphasized.  There will be a need for a cohort of research professionals who bridge between the physical / mathematical sciences and biomedical applications, to engineer solutions for health care challenges.  Such people will have to be cross-trained in ways that are currently not common.

With our internship program, we seek to make aspiring physical and computational scientists, as well as engineers, aware of the exciting opportunities that are emerging.  This is a vision that is shared by the Knight Cancer Center at OHSU and the Oregon Engineering & Technology Industry Council whose sponsorship enables us to support up to 20 motivated students this summer.  OHSU is the state’s only academic health center, but we also have researchers from the technology sector on campus, due to the presence of Intel and instrument maker, FEI-Thermo Fisher Inc. in the region, creating exciting opportunities for developing new biomedical technology.
We would be grateful if you could forward the attached flyer to interested students.  Thank you. For more information, please visit the following website: QBB 2017 Summer Internship<http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/schools/school-of-medicine/departments/basic-science-departments/molecular-cellular-biosciences/quantitative-bioscience/>.

Sincerely,

Michael S. Chapman

R.T. Jones Professor of Structural Biology & Interim Chair
Director, Quantitative Bioscience & Biomedical Engineering Pgm.

 Summer Internships: Quantitative Bioscience & Biomedical Engineering

Oregon Health & Science University
http://www.ohsu.edu/qbb
Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine,
L224 (BMB) 3181 Sam Jackson Park Road

Quantitative Bioscience & Biomedical Engineering (QBB) Opportunities to apply physics, math and computer science in medical practice and biomedical research are growing exponentially with the development of new diagnostic, treatment and re- search technology.  Majors in physics, engineering, chemistry, mathematics and computer science who will be college sophomores, juniors or seniors are especially encouraged to apply-to experience the excitement of research at this interface, and to decide whether this is an attractive career path.
>From June 26 - August 28, students will experience mentored re- search in groups studying cancer or nerve transmission, developing new applications of laser optics, electron microscopy, or computational genomics.  A modest stipend will be provided.

Applications should include a CV, academic transcript and a list of three QBB faculty with not more than 50 words each, explaining the applicant’s interest in the faculty member’s research. Applications and 2 reference letters from faculty members should each be e-mailed to Ms. Sam Wagner (qbbintern at ohsu.edu) by 5pm March 15, 2017, stating in the subject line “Intern: <applicant-name>“.
Supported by the Oregon Technology Council & the Hearst Foundation.

QBB Faculty
Eric Barklis: EM, Viral replication / assembly
Peter Barr-Gillespie: Hair cell mechanotrans.
Isabell Baconguis: Electron microsc. channels
Kimberly Beatty: Molecular imaging chem.
Michael Chapman: EM-imaging, viral entry
James Chen: High resolution electron microsc.
Michael Cohen: Chemistry of signaling
Emek Demir: Comp. pathway analysis
Kyle Ellrott: Computational cancer biology
Sadik Esener: Photonics, opto-electronics
David Farrens: G-protein structure
Catherine Galbraith: Fluorescence microsc.
James Galbraith: Fluorescence microscopy.
Summer Gibbs: Fluorescence imaging
Andras Gruber: Thrombus modeling
Eric Gouaux: Synapse receptor structure
Joe Gray: Cancer genomics / imaging
Monica Hinds: Vascular tissue engineering
Steven Jackques: Diagnostic & therap. optics
Chris Kroenke: Magnetic resonance imaging
Adam Margolin: Genomics of disease
Owen McCarty: Cardiovasc. fluid dynamics
Xiaolin Nan: Super-resolution microscopy
Bill Rooney: Magnetic resonance imaging
Sandra Rugonyi: Cardiovascular modeling
Carsten Schutz: Chemical Biology
Paul Spellman: Cancer genomes
Show-Ling Shyng: K-ATP channels
Kemal Sonmez: Computational genomics
Francis Valiyaveetil: Ion channel selectivity
Tania Vu: Quantum dot bio-imaging
Wassana Yantasee: Nanoparticle therapies
Matt Whorton: Electron microscop. channels
Zheng Xia: Comp. cancer immunology
Xiangshu Xiao: Cancer therapeutic devel.

FAQS FOR QBB INTERNSHIP:
What are the benefits of the QBB Internship Program?

o     Gain direct hands‐on research experience.

o     Participate in a guided project facilitated by a departmental researcher.

o     Develop written and oral communication skills.

o     Various networking opportunities with a community of scientists.

What will you do over the course of the internship?

Interns will join a research group for the summer and contribute to a project, guided by a faculty mentor and other laboratory personnel. There will be approximately weekly communal activities, focusing on science at the quantitative / biomedical interface, career opportunities and practice in scientific communication. The capstone activity will be a research symposium at which interns will present their results.

Is a break or vacation allowed during the 10 week program?

No, we ask that if you are selected for the internship that you do not take a vacation or break for the duration of the 10 week program.

Will I get paid?

Students selected for the internship will receive a stipend.

Is housing provided?

No, housing is not provided for this internship.

Where is the internship located?

The internship is typically performed in various departments on the OHSU South Waterfront and Marquam Hill campuses in Portland, OR. Interns must use mass transit or bicycle to get to campus (no on‐site parking is available).

What do I need in order to apply?

Submit all required materials by March 15, 2017. ALL application materials must be emailed to Samantha Wagner (qbbintern at ohsu.edu) by the 15th.

Please submit the following materials to be considered for this internship:

o   A copy of your CV

o   Official transcript(s)

o   A list of three (3) QBB faculty with not more than 50 words each explaining your interest in the faculty member’s research

o   Two (2) reference letters

o   Unfortunately, we are unable to provide visas for foreign students.