[Eecs-news-links] FW: Jr. Electrical Engineer Position

Batten, Tina tina.batten at oregonstate.edu
Fri Sep 23 09:45:36 PDT 2016

From: Andrew K. Steiner [mailto:asteiner at norwestengineering.com]
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2016 8:58 AM
Subject: Jr. Electrical Engineer Position

Good Morning,

I'm an electrical engineer at Norwest Engineering in Portland. We are looking to hire a junior electrical engineer, a good fit for a recent graduate. Is there a way I can make this job opening available to your students and/or recent graduates - for instance, through your department's Facebook page or newsletter? I have attached the job description for your convenience. I'd appreciate any help you could provide in getting this information out to your students.

Thank you so much for your time,

Andrew Steiner, PE | Sr. Electrical Engineer
Norwest Engineering, Inc.
4110 NE 122nd Ave.
Portland, OR 97230
Office: 503.200.5188
Cell: 503.987.0226
asteiner at norwestengineering.com<mailto:asteiner at norwestengineering.com>

TITLE: Junior Electrical Engineer - EIT

SUMMARY:

Norwest Engineering, a national-level engineering firm, is currently seeking a full-time Junior Electrical Engineer to work out of our main office located in Portland, Oregon. As a Jr. Electrical Engineer, you will work under the supervision of our Sr. Electrical Engineers and with our Project Managers on a variety of heavy industrial projects serving petrochemical, primary metals, chemical and pulp & paper clients. Your role on electrical engineering and design projects will be to take direction from Sr. Electrical Engineers and coordinate your work with electrical designers and drafters, assist with engineering calculations and interface with clients and contractors. Depending on progress, it is expected that within 1 year you will be taking the lead electrical role on projects with only technical support from the electrical group. Ideal candidates possess a high level of attention to detail, ability to operate in a fast paced environment. They will take ownership of and responsibility for engineering designs and contribute new ideas to enhance individual and group performance, based on ongoing project experience.

RESPONSIBILITIES:

 Under the supervision of Sr. Electrical Engineers, develop and gain understanding of one-line diagrams, grounding plans, area classification plans, control panel layout and bill of materials, P&ID’s, PLC & DCS wiring diagrams, medium (15kV - 600V) & low voltage (600V & below) motor schematics, and cable tray & conduit routing plans.

 Assist in completing electrical engineering calculations and documentation packages, plans, sections and details for electrical design projects according to industry, client and company standards.

 Assist in development of electrical engineering documents, working with other engineers and designers, including: Cable and conduit schedules, I/O lists, and electrical load lists

 Learn and apply relevant codes: NEC, NEMA, API Standards, IEEE and others as required.

 Effectively interact within a multi-discipline team of engineers & designers to meet project objectives.

 Become familiar with mechanical, civil and structural drawings to check for interferences with the electrical drawings.

 Travel within the United States up to 25% for site investigations, design reviews and construction inspection & coordination.

 Effectively manage time spent on multiple projects simultaneously.

 Must be motivated to seek continuous improvement.

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:

 Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university with a focus on power systems or controls.

 EIT or the ability to obtain and EIT within 6 months of hire date.

 Strong written & oral communication skills and use of tools such as MS Outlook, Word and Excel

 Solid understanding of electrical engineering fundamentals including circuit theory, power systems up to 15kV, and control wiring design

 Demonstration of a willingness to learn and excitement about expanding your skillset.

DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:

 1-2 years of experience in the completion of projects for industrial clients. Experience should include project development from concept through completion, including start up and commissioning.

 EIT obtained and currently working towards obtaining a PE

 Experience with software such as SKM, ETAP, EasyPower, and AutoCAD

 Understanding of medium voltage distribution, low voltage distribution, control system hardware & wiring design and grounding

If interested, please attach your resume and include a brief cover letter in the body of your email response
Salary: Competitive with excellent benefits