[Eecs-news-links] FW: Writing Center--Online Writing Lab opportunities

Sumida, Gale gale.sumida at oregonstate.edu
Tue May 3 09:03:11 PDT 2016

________________________________
From: inform-c07-bounces at lists.oregonstate.edu [inform-c07-bounces at lists.oregonstate.edu] on behalf of Hill, Kerry E [Kerry.Hill at oregonstate.edu]
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2016 1:41 PM
To: Inform-C07 (Professional Faculty); Inform-C08 (Instructors, Research Associates/Assistants); Inform-C09 (Professors, Associate/Assistant Professors); Inform-C10 (Academic Advisors); Woosley, Erika
Subject: [Inform-c07] Writing Center--Online Writing Lab opportunities

Hi,

My name is Kerry Hill and I'm the Online Writing Lab (OWL) coordinator (located in the Writing Center, in the Academic Success Center). We're trying to promote some exciting new tutoring opportunities in the OWL. Would you please send this out through the listserve? The text for the email is below.

Thank you!!

-Kerry

Writing is an important part of all academic programs, and everyone needs feedback on their writing. However, circumstances may make it impossible for students to visit the brick-and-mortar Writing Center. We therefore offer free, online consultations through our Online Writing Lab (OWL). Our trained peer tutors are ready and eager to assist students with any writing assignment from any subject, at any stage of the writing process.

We offer two types of one-to-one online consultations:

  *   Synchronous sessions take place via Skype video chat. These hour-long sessions allow students to connect and interact with a tutor face-to-face, just like in the physical Writing Center. Writers who are working on larger, more involved projects are welcome to schedule multiple consultations on a recurring basis.
  *   Asynchronous sessions take place via email. Students can submit a draft electronically and receive attentive, thoughtful feedback tailored to their specific needs. Tutors will respond to student writing within 48 hours, though it may take a little longer during exceptionally busy points in the term.
The Online Writing Lab is available to both undergraduate and graduate students from all disciplines. Through electronic, individualized feedback, we want to engage in an active dialogue to help students express their ideas clearly and purposefully. We also strive to provide writers with convenient, practical feedback, as well as strategies for drafting, composing, and revising.

To submit writing for an asynchronous email response, visit

http://cwl.oregonstate.edu/owl.php

To schedule a synchronous Skype consultation:

  *   Stop by the Writing Center at Waldo Hall 123
  *   Visit our online Appointment Request Form<http://writingcenter.oregonstate.edu/appointment-request> and indicate that you’d like to schedule a Skype consultation.
  *   Call Kerry Hill, OWL Coordinator, at 541-737-5385
Thank you, and we look forward to working with students in the Online Writing Lab.

Best,

Kerry Hill