[Eecs-news-links] FW: CIS Colloquia - Faculty Candidates, TWO DATES: Tuesday, March 1 AND Thursday, March 3, 2016 @ 3:30pm in 220 Deschutes Hall

Batten, Tina tina.batten at oregonstate.edu
Mon Feb 29 10:09:58 PST 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Adriane Bolliger [mailto:adriane at cs.uoregon.edu]
Sent: Monday, February 29, 2016 9:42 AM
To: colloquia at cs.uoregon.edu; dept at cs.uoregon.edu; grads-mail at cs.uoregon.edu
Subject: CIS Colloquia - Faculty Candidates, TWO DATES: Tuesday, March 1 AND Thursday, March 3, 2016 @ 3:30pm in 220 Deschutes Hall

*Please Note: there will be two CIS colloquia this week featuring faculty candidates for the CIS department.

——————————————————————
Talk #1: Tuesday, March 1, 2016
——————————————————————

Scott Tu
University of California, Los Angeles

Toward a Secure, Dependable Mobile Internet

Abstract

The current 3G/4G mobile network is the only wireless infrastructure that offers wide-area, ubiquitous data and voice services to 3.6 billion users. More and more users use it to access online services through their smartphones. It is a large-scale, global network infrastructure on a par with the wired Internet; it is also called the mobile Internet. However, it is not without limitations and flaws. In this talk, I will present my research on improving the mobile Internet from two aspects: security and reliability.

First, I will present our work on the mobile system security. This area has not been paid enough attentions since it is not projected to have major issues as the Internet from the security standpoint. In this talk, I would like to share my own experience with you to show that it is not the case. I will use a voice service as an example to illustrate that several commonly-held rules are problematic for security. Therefore, an adversary can launch unexpected security attacks, e.g., free data service attack, overbilling attack, user account abusing attack on social networks (e.g., Facebook), etc.

Second, I will introduce how to leverage the model-checking techniques to enhance the reliability of the mobile Internet services. It is well known that the design of the control plane of a network largely determines its reliability and performance. However, for the mobile Internet, the correctness verification problem of control-plane protocols remains largely unaddressed due to its complex designs and closed mobile system. We thus developed two software tools to address this problem: CNetVerifier and MobileInsight. We discovered several problematic design issues of mobile Internet standards, the unjustified operational issues of 3G/4G infrastructure and implementation issues of mobile devices. They result in user-perceived performance penalties.

So far, my research has delivered some preliminary contributions to the modern-day mobile Internet. Three US major carriers have adopted several of our solutions to address the issues we identified; we also cooperated with some cloud service providers, e.g., Facebook, to improve their mobile service security; hundreds of millions of US mobile users have benefited from our research results.

Biography

Dr. Guan-Hua (Scott) Tu is a postdoctoral scholar in the computer science department at the University of California, Los Angeles where he received his Ph.D. degree. His research interests are in the area of computer networks and network security with current emphasis on the mobile Internet. His research results have been published in several top networking and security conferences, e.g., ACM SIGCOMM, MOBICOM, CCS, etc., and reported by public media. He was a recipient of the UCLA dissertation year fellowship and the IBM Ph.D. fellowship. He received his M.S. from UCLA and his B.S. from National Central University, Taiwan.

http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~ghtu

——————————————————————
Talk #1: Thursday, March 3, 2016
——————————————————————

Xiang Zhang
Case Western Reserve University

Scalable, Robust and Integrative Algorithms for Analyzing Big Network Data

Abstract

Networks (or graphs) provide a natural data model for numerous applications ranging from social, web, scientific data to biological and medical data. The real-world networks are usually very large, noisy and collected in different domains.

Motivated by these properties of the data, in this talk, I will focus on three important algorithmic issues in analyzing large network data, i.e., scalability, robustness and integrativeness. I will use query and clustering, which are of fundamental importance to many advanced applications, as examples to illustrate how we address these issues. In particular, I will introduce a local search algorithm for proximity query, a node weighting method for local clustering, and the network of networks model for integrating multiple networks.

Biography

Dr. Xiang Zhang is the T&D Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Case Western Reserve University. He received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2011. His research interests include data mining, big data analysis, graph mining, network analysis, bioinformatics, and databases.

His publications have been recognized by several awards including the Best Research Paper Award at SIGKDD’08, the Best Student Paper Award at ICDE’08, and best paper nominations at SDM’12 and ICDM'15. His doctoral dissertation received an honorable mention for 2012 ACM SIGKDD Dissertation Award. He received the NSF CAREER Award in 2016.

DATE:	Tuesday, March 1 AND Thursday, March 3, 2015
TIME:	3:30 p.m. talk, refreshments following talk
PLACE:	220 Deschutes Hall (Colloquium Room), University of Oregon

For all CIS public talks, go to:
http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/Activities/Public_Talks/