[Eecs-news-links] HP Corvallis Big Data analyst college intern position
gale.sumida at oregonstate.edu
Mon Feb 15 14:00:33 PST 2016
Software Development Engineer- Big Data: Business Environment and Job Description
HP's Imaging and Printing Group (I&P) is a large contributor to the success of HP. It is an exciting blend of commercial and consumer products with strong market leadership around the globe. Within I&P, the Big Data organization contributes critically to business strategy, planning, and operations. In this context, the Big Data team actively supports these decision makers. Our advanced development and data analytics drive business results. Our strategy centers on expanding the acquisition of customer data from the deployed printer fleet and pairing it with other data sources such as census data and other government data, third-party customer data (e.g. Google Maps, Nielsen, IDC, GFK, etc.) as well as databases inside of HP to develop new actionable business insights.
The Software Development Engineer Intern position (SW Dev) analyzes, designs, programs, debugs, and modifies software enhancements in developing and integrating new data streams on a project-by-project basis. They are also responsible for assisting with the management of the data flow, data quality, usability, performance and the integrity of the information.
Using current programming language and technologies, writes code, completes programming, and performs testing and debugging of applications as well as completes documentation and procedures for installation and maintenance. Interacts with users to define system requirements and/or necessary modifications to new or existing software. The intern will interface with other Software Developers and Architects in implementing Big Data solutions that enable the business to be data driven.
The candidate must also possess these key skills associated with "Big Data":
* Experience or understanding of software applications design tools and languages such as C++, C# and/or Java.
* Good analytical and problem solving skills.
* Understanding of design for software applications running on multiple platform types such as Win32/.NET or Linux.
* Understanding of basic testing, coding, and debugging procedures
* Good written and verbal communication skills; mastery in English and local language.
* Completion of at least 3 years in Software Engineering or Math (CS, CE, EE/CS, Math).
* Strong written and spoken communication skills.
* Demonstrated working knowledge of engineering fundamentals.
* Ability to work and effectively interact with team members from other disciplines, projects, organizations, cultures and companies.
* Resourceful, creative and flexible.
* Bias to action.
* Fluency in English.
* Ability to execute on given projects consistently.
* Mathematical reasoning; Competent in the interpretation of numeric data, understand and/or practice statistical principles.
* Data literacy: Finding and managing data, cleansing data, appropriately address extremes, outliers, etc., manipulating data.
* Ability to develop software at a tactical level, as well as the ability to communicate and implement the intended strategy of the application.
* Knowledge of Agile software development life-cycles with its principles, practices, strategies and tactics.
* Experience with data warehousing, dimensional modeling, Big Data solutions and ETL development is a plus.
Additional Software responsibilities may be applicable:
* Develop Java libraries, Java methods and frameworks around Hadoop and MapR environment for data transformations on large data sets.
* Participate and build data acquisition and consumption strategies, ability to transform the strategies in to workable products.
* Evaluate and utilize technologies/tools/frameworks around Hadoop eco-system.
* Work with teams resolving operational and performance related issues.
* Knowledge on shell scripting and SQL.
The Big Data organization depends on self-starters working in often ambiguous situations. HP I&P is a global business and the right candidate is expected to have the flexibility to bridge cultural differences and work across geographies and time zones.
Your qualifications include:
* Progress in MS/BS degree in computer science, computer engineering, information systems or related field of study.
* Strong software development skills.
* Understanding of statistics, or Statistical Process Control.
* Experience with open source technologies.
* Familiarity with Data warehousing, dimensional modeling and ETL development.
* Initiative and a drive to achieve desired outcomes.
* A creative mind and a propensity to take calculated risks.
* Excellent communication and presentation skills.
Hiring Manager: Mike Holmberg, mike.holmberg at hp.com<mailto:mike.holmberg at hp.com>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Software Development Intern-Big Data_RevC.docx
Size: 19602 bytes
Desc: Software Development Intern-Big Data_RevC.docx
More information about the Eecs-news-links