[Eecs-news-links] Fwd: Opportunity for Students: Electrical design/construction competition

Batten, Tina tina.batten at oregonstate.edu
Mon Feb 1 17:33:13 PST 2016

On Feb 1, 2016, at 12:51 PM, Fradella III, Joseph <joe.fradella at oregonstate.edu<mailto:joe.fradella at oregonstate.edu>> wrote:
I’m an Instructor in CCE, and I wanted to reach out to you about an opportunity for your students.  The Green Energy Challenge is an annual national competition in which OSU students, usually CEM, have participated in many recent years.  I’d like to make participation on our team open to EECS students (probably more the EE than the CS) to help boost our competitiveness and to increase our overall participation level.  The project has a sizable design component, so the EE’s and CEM’s could complement each other nicely.  If you feel it’s appropriate, I’d appreciate if you could distribute the announcement below to your students.  Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you!

Green Energy Challenge.  This national electrical construction competition involves student teams submitting a proposal to design an energy upgrade for a K-12 school.  The competition would be especially appropriate for students interested, or potentially interested, in a career in electrical construction.  Most of the work for the project takes place during the Winter term with pre-proposals due on Feb. 26 and final proposals due on April 4.  If our proposal is judged highly enough, team members will travel to Boston on Oct. 7-10 (costs covered) to present their proposal at the National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA) Annual Convention.  (Students may participate even if they graduate prior to October 2016.)  Team members may also prepare a poster to present at the Convention.  More information on the competitions is available here… http://www.electri.org/content/2016-green-energy-challenge.  Please contact Joe Fradella at joe.fradella at oregonstate.edu<mailto:joe.fradella at oregonstate.edu> if you’re interested.

Joe Fradella, P.E.
Senior Instructor | Hoffman Instructor in CCE
School of Civil & Construction Engineering | Oregon State University
101 Kearney Hall, Corvallis, Oregon 97331 USA
Phone: 541-737-9345 | joe.fradella at oregonstate.edu<mailto:joe.fradella at oregonstate.edu>