[Eecs-news-links] CoreOS Night | Hosted by the OSU Linux Users Group

Sumida, Gale gale.sumida at oregonstate.edu
Mon Feb 1 12:01:13 PST 2016

From: Voigt, Elijah Caine [mailto:voigte at oregonstate.edu<mailto:voigte at oregonstate.edu>]
Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2016 12:23 PM
To: Sumida, Gale <gale.sumida at oregonstate.edu<mailto:gale.sumida at oregonstate.edu>>
Cc: elsie.phillips at coreos.com<mailto:elsie.phillips at coreos.com>; Wyman, Lucy Carson - ONID <wymanl at oregonstate.edu<mailto:wymanl at oregonstate.edu>>
Subject: Linux Users Group Event Posting

LUG is hosting two speakers from the California based tech company CoreOS as they tour the country recruiting for new employees and interns. We think this would be a useful event for EECS students to attend and be aware of; and of course there will be pizza and drinks :)
I have been given two blurbs from the CoreOS media representative to post in the newsletter, if you would be willing to add the following Blurbs and Date/Time/Location info to the EECS newsletter I would appreciate it. I can abbreviate any of this information if need be.
Date/Time/Location info:
This event will be held Thursday, February 11, 2016 in Kelley Engineering Center room 1003. Complimentary food and drinks at 6pm; presentations start at 6:30pm; Q&A at 7:30pm; information about working at CoreOS at 8:00 pm
Blurbs:

CoreOS Night | Hosted by the OSU Linux Users Group

The Lifetime of a CoreOS Machine (Alex Crawford)

One of the tenets of CoreOS is that machines should be fairly ephemeral - it should be simple and straightforward to throw away a machine and bring up another in its place. This talk will cover the tools and techniques that make this possible; covering provisioning, in-place updates, coordinated reboots, and future work.

A Brief Introduction to Distributed Trusted Computing (Matthew Garrett)

There's been plenty of work to figure out how to make sure that the container you deploy is the container you thought you deployed, and even more on how to avoid one container from being able to break into other containers. But trusting these containers is still difficult - how do you know whether everything your containers depend on can be trusted?

This talk will discuss the technologies we're using at CoreOS to verify the state of a system, from the firmware to the filesystem. How do we ensure that a system only boots the OS we wanted it to boot? How do we prove that later components weren't interfered with? And how can we use the same technology to make it easier to deploy servers to untrusted data centres?