[Eecs-news-links] FW: Healthy Masculinities Conference Listerserve Blurb

Sumida, Gale gale.sumida at oregonstate.edu
Mon Apr 28 11:57:44 PDT 2014

From: Franklin, Colisse
Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2014 8:59 AM
To: Sumida, Gale
Subject: FW: Healthy Masculinities Conference Listerserve Blurb

Sophie Wilson, a College Student Services Administration Graduate Assistant asked it this could be put in the newsletter?

OSU'S HEALTHY MASCULINITIES CONFERENCE 2014

A conference on Healthy Masculinities will take place May 1-2 at Oregon State University. The second annual Healthy Masculinities Conference will be held in the Memorial Union. This year's theme is "Genuine Masculinities: What is it to you?"

The two-day event includes panel discussion from university leaders, presentations by students, faculty and staff, and a free lunch on Friday for registered participants, where discussion will focus on how to translate conference findings into actionable items.

This year's keynote speaker is Gabe Wright, a male rape survivor and creator of "The Guys Project: Bonding as Survivors and Allies." His focus is on breaking down the social stigma of victimization by creating spaces for male survivors and their allies by working together to overcome perceived threats to masculinity while at the same time, engaging men as allies to ending violence against women.

"I am thrilled for this year's conference because I believe there is value in thinking critically about who I want to be as a man," said organizer Tyler Reisnaur. "It is important to involve everyone in this discussion as we all are impacted and contribute to the social construction of masculinity."

The conference is sponsored by Men's Development and Engagement, an OSU group focused on encouraging OSU men to engage in a process of healthy gender identity development with the hope of creating a safe environment. It is open to the entire campus community and is part of the OSU Healthy Campus Initiative.

The event is free for OSU campus members, $40 for those unaffiliated with OSU. To register and for more information: http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/mensdev.