[Eecs-news-links] Systems Analys Intern @ IMS Recovery Services, Inc. (Covallis, OR)

Batten, Tina tina.batten at oregonstate.edu
Thu Dec 5 09:28:03 PST 2013

Title
Systems Analyst Intern

Location
Corvallis, Oregon

Hours
15-20 hours per week

Term of Engagement
Jan. 6 - March 21, 2014

Salary Range
$12-$17 Per Hour - Based on candidate's qualifications

Company Description:

IMS Recovery Services, Inc., founded in 1999, is a computer systems disaster recovery and backup solutions provider for the SMB market.  IMS Recovery Services Inc. currently specializes in protecting credit unions from losses associated with disruptions in IT related functions.  IMS Recovery Services, Inc. is a privately held, highly specialized, managed service provider. Our success is based on our dedication to fanatical customer service and our technical expertise in a specialized vertical market.

Company Culture:

IMS Recovery Services Inc, provides solutions that are considered critical to the credit union customers we serve.  In the event of a disaster, credit unions rely on us to ensure that critical IT related systems remain fully functional.  While we are remarkably serious about the services we provide, you'll find our core culture to be informal and relaxed. We value individuals that appreciate teamwork, collaboration and innovative problem solving.

Job Description:

IMS Recovery Services is currently seeking a highly motivated intern to join our team and to work in a fast-paced environment utilizing the latest in cutting edge technology. Candidates should have an interest in datacenter operations, server virtualization, and data backup and disaster recovery of computer systems.

The intern position will be directly supervised by the Director of Information Technology and will report to that position. (Site Supervisor)

Duties and Responsibilities:

The successful intern will perform a range of duties, to include, but not be limited to:

*         Desktop support of x86 based desktop PC's.

*         Application support with software such as Microsoft Office, Quickbooks, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, etc.

*         Daily log monitoring of backup solution notifications from customer backup reports.

*         Tier 1 server tasks on Microsoft Servers, VMware, HP-UX, IBM P series and Linux.  Tier 1 level tasks would be performing tasks such as logging onto the server and reading the logs, rebooting the server, physically inspecting the server for indications of trouble (flashing lights, etc.), testing connectivity by attempting a remote logon, pinging the server and providing responses to other senior staff, other tasks as directed under close supervision.

*         Other hardware support such as printer support, webcam support, external hard drive use, etc.

*         Physical labor such as racking a server (with another staff member), unracking equipment (with another staff member), moving desktop computers, cleaning and basic maintenance of the datacenter, etc. ( Candidate must be physically capable of lifting equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.)

*         Using detailed instructions and following them to deploy servers, install software, etc.

*         Under direct supervision, performing tasks such as running backups with software such as Avamar Datastore, Unitrends Enterprise Backup, and Asigra Cloud Backup.  You may also be restoring data with the same software.

*         Under direct supervision of a Sr. Network engineer, perform basic networking tasks such as reading a config from an Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA), testing routing from one node to another, applying an already created config to a security device, reading layer 2 and layer 3 switching configs, etc.

*         Possible opportunities to do web development and web design of one of the three (or all three) websites the company currently has in production.  Prefer WordPress blogging software experience.

*         Perform other Systems Analyst Intern related tasks as they come up.

*         Write detailed documentation under the guidance of DR Engineers, Network Engineers or the Director of I.T., to include processes, procedures and steps.

Qualifications:

The following characteristics, skills and abilities are preferred:

*         Some existing knowledge of Windows Server, Linux, and/or UNIX.

*         Ability to work independently but to be closely supervised as well, and switch back and forth between both modes without issue.

*         Prior Windows desktop experience preferred.  To include installing an operating system, installing applications like MS Office, Adobe products, etc.

*         Prior exposure or knowledge of VMware technologies preferred but not required.

*         Quick learner and able to perform multiple tasks without dropping the ball.

*         Someone who knows their limitations and isn't afraid to ask for help.  Cowboys (or girls) need not apply.

*         Above average English language oral and written skills.

*         Ability to research on the Internet using search engines and common sense.

*         Ability to interact with both customers and staff in a respectful, intelligent and meaningful way as directed.

*         Pursuing a technology related degree.  Prefer students in their junior or senior year, but will consider all applicants.

Please note that candidates who are offered an internship position of Systems Analyst with IMS Recovery Services Inc. must pass all required background verifications.

Submit Resumes at:  careers at cusolution.com