In the United States, accreditation is a non-governmental, peer-review process that assures the quality of the postsecondary education students receive. Educational institutions or programs volunteer to undergo this review periodically to determine if certain criteria are being met.
It is important to understand, however, that accreditation is not a ranking system. It is simply assurance that a program or institution meets established quality standards.
There are two types of accreditation: institutional and specialized.
- Institutional accreditation evaluates overall institutional quality. One form of institutional accreditation is regional accreditation of colleges and universities.
- Specialized accreditation examines specific programs of study, rather than an institution as a whole. This type of accreditation is granted to specific programs at specific levels. Architecture, nursing, law, medicine, and engineering programs are often evaluated through specialized accreditation.
ABET, Inc., is responsible for the specialized accreditation of educational programs in applied science, computing, engineering, and technology.
Oregon State University
The Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) provides institutional accreditation for Oregon State University.
College of Engineering
ABET, Inc. provides specialized accreditation for most, but not all programs in the College of Engineering.
The programs below are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012, telephone: (410) 347-7700.
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Ecological Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Forest Engineering (offered through the College of Forestry)
- Industrial Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Nuclear Engineering
The program below is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012, telephone: (410) 347-7700.
- Computer Science (Computer Systems Option only)
The program below is accredited by the Applied Science Accreditation Commission of ABET, 111 Market Place, Suite 1050, Baltimore, MD 21202-4012, telephone: (410) 347-7700.
The American Council for Construction Education (ACCE) provides specialized accreditation for
- Construction Engineering Management
Programs in Energy Systems Engineering; Computer Science, Information Systems option; Computer Science, Applied Computer Science option are not accredited.